Project: Neumann VAB-84 and more....

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

messdroide

Project: Neumann VAB-84 and more....

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 am

Hello trolls,

with this thread I want to throw a quick question in the round regarding the need for Neumann special cassettes for the Neumann SP-79, as well as for all other vinylcutting Studios without an SP79. It's a great chance to complete your VMS-70, VMS-80 Setup. Together with a Neumann development engineer we are planning a small Edition of following cassettes.

Neumann VAB-84 (size: DannerA2 or 1U)
Neumann SK-A (size: DannerA2 or 1U)
Neumann SK-E (size: DannerA1 or 1U)

the peculiarity is these devices will be built in two versions !
Version-1:Danner cassettes (original size) for the Neumann SP79
Version-2:1U RackUnit device without an Neumann SP79

The Danner version is fully compatible to the original Neumann produced cassettes! (with the original Tuchel/Amphenol T2701 connectors!). So put the cassette into the SP79 and enjoy ;-).

As soon as the first units are finished, I will post some pics from the devices here. We hope in about 2-3 months to introduce the first finished devices.

These cassettes needed?

Nickou

Re: Project: Neumann VAB-84 and more....

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:57 am

It is very interesting ,
can you decribe those modules ?
I don t know those references of modules

Thanks

Y.

TotalSonic

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 am

The Neumann VAB-84 was found in some of the SP-79 consoles and was included mainly for the use with the VMS-82 for Direct Metal Mastering. It is a vertical amplitude limiter used to control depth of cut to within specific limits, especially useful for DMM since the copper blanks don't have as much of a possible range for depth as cutting into lacquer does. From my understanding (and it's possible I don't have this quite right) it would matrix the signal to a Lateral (aka "Mid" or "Sum") and Vertical ("Side / Differential") components and whose threshold could be set by changing a low pass crossover that sent to its side chain - and then applied a VCA limiter to the Vertical signal only - and decoded this back to L/R in order to send back signal back to the cutter head. As such it provided tool that could be used to deal with uncorrelated low end similar to the way that an Elliptical Equalizer does - but unlike an EE it's action would be somewhat dynamically variable with the program material. fwiw - at Europadisk we had the VAB-84 in line most of the time but would set the threshold most of the so that it wasn't triggering very much. It definitely saved the day on a few occasions dealing with some really out of phase material though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 am

The SK-A was a selecter/routing module - you can see one example of it at http://www.vintagetools.de/Vintage-Modules/Pan-Aux-Routing/Neumann-SKA.html

I'm not sure what the SK-E was - I'm curious to know the answer to that as well.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Nickou

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks for the answer .
Best regards
Y.

messdroide

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 am

Hi guys,

it was poorly described from my side. Neumann has called all "Non-standard" cassettes as SK-A (SonderKassette = SK). Now in the annex some information. In the picture you can see left the SK-A and right a partially reconstructed SK-E.

In the PDF, i have some informations regarding the Neumann VAB-84.
many regards
Felix

German: http://www.vinylcutting.de/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/Neumann-VAB.pdf
English: http://www.vinylcutting.de/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/Neumann-VAB_EN.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TotalSonic

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks for the pdf! So - the SK-A you have shown here is for the advanced pitch control options for the VMS-8x. As far as I know these controls wouldn't work with the stock pitch/depth computer of the VMS-70 or earlier.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

messdroide

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:58 pm

hmm,
i think this is a good question for flo kaufmann. I don't know exactly but the VMS-70 supports only the Relative Disc Level Encoder that's right. After some searching I found a another version of the SK-A in my archive and as well a picture of an original SK-E.

Our reconstructed SK-A will look like as it is to see in the last post, the SK-E can be seen in this post.

cheers
Felix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bonati

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 am

Very interesting, please keep us informed. Pictures are always good. You'd probably get more orders for the rackmount style in the US.

tubefan

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:23 pm

I have the original EE77 and SK-E module with my VMS80 but if you look at the manual for the Prism Sound MDC-70, they have used ms matrixing on the preview channel with attenuators to achieve similar adjustments on lathes besides the VMS80 and VMS82. The other knob, for land economy, is not implemented as far as I know.