WTB: Gotham amps

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

MrMegaEli

WTB: Gotham amps

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a pair of Gotham amps. I know they are used with a Grampian head, but I want to try modifying them for my Westrex 3D. Get in touch if you have just one, or a pair.

dubcutter89

Re: WTB: Gotham amps

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:25 am

Hi!
I cannot speak from practical experience with gotham/westrex setup, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

1. The Gotham amp was designed for the Grampian head -> afaik the feedback loop has a dominant pole in the middle of the audio range! You would have to remake this and I'm not sure if the amp will work stable afterwards...

2. The Grampian head has a much hotter feedback signal -> you would have to make a feedback preamp stage. Also you would have to make another RIAA stage for monitoring if you want to...

3. Drive Coil Impedance -> well, probably no problem :)

4. Cutterhead EQ -> The Westrex head has no flat frequency response -> You would have to make another EQ for getting it flat.

I don't know the reason why you want to do this (do you need more output power??) , but it might be easier to make a "new" system from scratch or to modify a westrex/haeco than to modify the gotham amps....

Just some thoughts...

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

dubcutter89

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:47 pm

...but maybe it's a great idea, or at least quite unique undertaking!

Go for it
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

MrMegaEli

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 pm

dubcutter89 wrote:Hi!
I cannot speak from practical experience with gotham/westrex setup, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

1. The Gotham amp was designed for the Grampian head -> afaik the feedback loop has a dominant pole in the middle of the audio range! You would have to remake this and I'm not sure if the amp will work stable afterwards...

I'm not sure I know what you mean

2. The Grampian head has a much hotter feedback signal -> you would have to make a feedback preamp stage. Also you would have to make another RIAA stage for monitoring if you want to...

Yes, the 3D FB signal would need to be amplified

3. Drive Coil Impedance -> well, probably no problem :)

4. Cutterhead EQ -> The Westrex head has no flat frequency response -> You would have to make another EQ for getting it flat.

Yes, I would need a head EQ built in. Switching to a Neumann style torque tube would make this much more manageable.
I don't know the reason why you want to do this (do you need more output power??) , but it might be easier to make a "new" system from scratch or to modify a westrex/haeco than to modify the gotham amps...

Westrex tube amps don't have enough power to cut a loud record, like the 1700

Why? Because it's a good project! I am interested in hearing how this would sound, and the only way to do this would be to take on the huge project of making this work

Just some thoughts...

Lukas

uvoscillator

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 am

What is the street price for it ?
I cut on Grampian D so also interested to try with original amp.
Best !

MrMegaEli

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:39 am

Let me know what you have.