SCULLY LATHE ON EBAY

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Virtalahde

Re: SCULLY LATHE ON EBAY

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:34 am

Relisted here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scully-601-record-lathe-Westrex-3D-cutterhead-amps-vinyl-/151281227821?pt=US_Vintage_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item233910582d

Seems like a nice system. Has the cork matt been torn off? The platter's all aluminium, but the platter looks like original.

Ransteele pitching system, never heard of it. No extra head, either.But this is the 2nd Scully I've seen for sale in two years now.

tubefan

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 am

It's the normal Scully tube variable pitch system, Ramsteele used to just take the panels off and put their logo on it. I had a Ramsteele Neumann lathe, it had a Compudisk... Same thing, white paint slathered on and a Ramsteele logo.

Are lathes really getting this expensive?? This is more than a fully working VMS70 with a Zuma would have cost a few years ago ( in fact, it's more than I paid for my VMS80 system, although that needed repair...)

Virtalahde

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks for the info. I agree about the price!

opcode66

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Yes, the value of any cutting system has increased significantly. Especially any system that has had recent work from a trusted tech.

I've been offered almost double the price I paid for mine in 2010. I've modified mine and continued to track down more original pieces. So, that adds to the value. But, overall, the lathe itself has increased in value. I could have done nothing at all and it would still be true.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

alein12

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Wish I have the dough I would buy. looking great

audadvnc

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:56 am

Is that a nice unit? Maybe so, if you have the ability to keep it going.

Is it worth 35K? Depends, I suppose on your concept of worth. If you have the financial wherewithal to burn 35K on a hobby, what's wrong with that? Some guys take up sail boating, or fancy blondes, others self publish their own poetry. You could consider it a limited run 20th Century industrial sculpture, on par with original Bauhaus furniture, in which case it might be a steal.

As a machine intended for commercial use? How many projects would you have to be run to cover costs? I doubt that machine would ever pay for itself, or be commercially viable, except to flip to the next buyer.

dietrich10

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

If you can average 2 12"/LP cuts for clients a week you can pay off in 1.5 years

or 2000 12" stereo poly/lathe cuts
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

concretecowboy71

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Anything is worth what somebody will pay for it. I own two VMS70 lathes that are both paid for by the cuts I have done. In four years I have cut around 6000 sides. Can these pay for themselves? Yes. Sit down, write a business plan and then buy the proper tools. These machines are the tools of the trade and make money for you. Otherwise, you are just a hobbiest and value then has a different definition just like boats and blondes.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

Greg Reierson

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Well said. The cost of a professional tool is almost insignificant over the long run if you need it and can make a living using it.
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

dietrich10

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:03 pm

cutting lacquers-vms70 system

audadvnc

Sun May 11, 2014 11:54 pm

I'm not doubting you can cover your costs with volume, but I'm not familiar with the direct duplication work flow, cutting poly cuts on a system like this. Would you be using the standard Adamant stylus on a poly disk? How many sides would you be able to cut before stylus replacement is needed?

I'd be interested in seeing a business plan thread on this forum.

Stevie342000

Mon May 12, 2014 6:50 am

Now that would be interesting to see a business plan thread but I am not in the market to do this as a business. However I might be if the right market could be identified but my market is really niche and totally limited, with most consumers in that area using cd or dvd.

But given that record sales are increasing, surely there must be more scope for professional cutting studios with a link into the major and minor labels, in addition to offering bespoke one off cuts or masters?

You would need links into pressing plants and distribution or go the Joe Meek method (he leased the masters to the majors leaving distribution and marketing to them, totally new concept in the UK in 1960 - credited as the first independent producer - along with new production techniques i.e closing miking and direct inject from bass guitar into mixer - he recorded in sections as well i.e. backing rhythm track plus vocals and effects later with lots of compression pushing equipment to limits and often into distortion - very interesting character)and just act as the go-between who cuts or masters the disc for the major or minor labels to print and distribute. Artwork might be another area you could cover.

There is more I am sure but yes a business plan would be good. Before digital you needed big money to run a studio but Meek did it in a flat above a shop but for a business you would really need a dedicated area for making masters either tapes or discs. If you knew what you were doing before hand you could take it back further and do it real old school and cut direct to disc. Countless options and routes for a business plan.