new (russian?) cutting styluses on ebay

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Angry Jim

new (russian?) cutting styluses on ebay

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:23 pm

Anyone know anything about these? It looks like a russian company is making relatively inexpensive cutting styluses..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvinyl+record+lathe+presto+styli.TRS0&_nkw=vinyl+record+lathe+presto+styli&_sacat=0

if that link doesn't work just go to ebay and search for "vinyl record lathe presto styli" and you'll see them..
Let me know if anyone knows if these are good.. or anything about them..

Angry Jim

Re: new (russian?) cutting styluses on ebay

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 pm

i wait.. I see there have been some other threads about these... Can anyone tell me quick whether ruby or sapphire is better for a wilcox gay recordio?

opcode66

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:36 pm

They are the same thing
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Jolyman

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:08 pm

don't buy those ....
I did. they are terrible.

chris-zwarg

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Jolyman wrote:don't buy those ....
Could you please elaborate on that verdict? It may well be that the styli are ill-suited for what you were trying to do, but still useful in other context.... "Terrible" can mean all and nothing....!

The Shank

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:41 pm

chris-zwarg wrote:
Jolyman wrote:don't buy those ....
"Terrible" can mean all and nothing....!
and "don't buy those"?
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

opcode66

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:32 pm

They were not manufactured to cut records. That was stated by the seller. The geometry is wrong. The glue is wrong and no heat can be applied. Need we go on? They look like cutting styli, but that is the extent of the similarities.

Steven and I both independantly supply quality diamond cutting styli if you are interested. There is also at least one or two guys supplying steel cone embossing styli for a very reasonable price.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

chris-zwarg

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:47 pm

opcode66 wrote:They were not manufactured to cut records. That was stated by the seller. The geometry is wrong. The glue is wrong and no heat can be applied. Need we go on? They look like cutting styli, but that is the extent of the similarities.

Steven and I both independantly supply quality diamond cutting styli if you are interested. There is also at least one or two guys supplying steel cone embossing styli for a very reasonable price.
Okay, I understand much better now. The original reply left me wondering if they might be NOS 78rpm cutters that might well give a "terrible" impression when attempting to cut stereo microgroove with them, or wax cutters without burnishing facets that naturally have a high noise level on plastic. I am well aware of the available diamond and steel/tungsten styli, and though I certainly am a newbie in this forum, I might add that I figured out how to make my own steel cutting styli long before this forum even existed already. The need to earn a living, and the failure to find a suitable material to make blanks from back in the 1980's, ended my experimental work at the time. Now, after many years, and with so much better materials (PC, PET-G, etc.) available, not to mention the pooled arcane knowledge of seasoned experts in the field, I have now "revived" my ancient Neumann/Dual portable cutter. But the whole subject isn't as new to me as it might seem from my statistics here - it's just that I concentrated on doing the opposite thing (namely digitally transferring and re-mastering 78rpm discs and phonograph cylinders) for some two decades.... Thank you!

Chris

opcode66

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:01 pm

The seller eventually told the community what they were originally made for. I can't remember. Cutting film or something.

emorritt

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:26 am

Sounds like they may have been made for mastering film bands for the 'Tefifon'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tTURrAWVYE

tragwag

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:39 am

this Tefifon is something!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

opcode66

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:13 am

I don't think that they were for audio at all given the dimensions. Additionally, Tefifon (which no one ever even heard of until recently lol) was an obscure German product. Why would someone in Russia make cutting styli for it. I highly doubt a Tefifon ever made it to Soviet era USSR when these styli were made.

Jccc

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:55 pm

i seem to be having good results using a presto k8 with 5c cuttinghead cutting plastic plates with these needles.

i think if you set the eq right and have the correct angle on the cut you will have nice loud cuts.

i have been trying to find the ebay link to purchase more of then but it is not up anymore.

i guess i will pm alex.