Blank pressed records? Wasn't someone selling them?

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

Blank pressed records? Wasn't someone selling them?

Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm doing some more experimenting and I remember at some point someone had a round of blanks pressed?

Anyone remember who was selling those?

ROLANDJAYS

Re: Blank pressed records? Wasn't someone selling them?

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:55 pm

I got some a couple years ago but that's all I've seen

Self-lather

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:06 am

ROLANDJAYS wrote:I got some a couple years ago but that's all I've seen
As in you bought some from someone? If so who?

..or as in you had some pressed? If so, can I purchase some from you?

rsimms3

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:19 am

When I started first looking into cutting a couple years ago I saw some on eBay for sale. Haven't seen any since. IIRC they were an orangey color with plain white labels.

Casanova

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:31 am

These look like pressed blanks, take a look!
http://recordcuttingblanks.com/12-INCH-RECORD-BLANKS.html

Self-lather

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks, I ordered some form the second source.

While these are perfect for my experiments, what is the actual use of these record blanks? I've heard that blank vinyl is terrible sounding to cut into, or is there a machine that using these that I don't know about?

recordboy

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:29 am

Quoting that first link "The 12-inch vinyl single (often simply calle 12″ vinyl) is a type of gramophone recor that has wider groove spacing compared t other types of vinyl records. This allows f louder levels to be cut on the disc by th cutting engineer, which in turn gives wider dynamic range, and thus bett sound quality. This vinyl record type commonly used in disco and dance mus genres, where DJs use them to play i discos or clubs. They are played at eith 33⅓ or 45 rpm"
Cheers,
recordboy

Self-lather

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:05 pm

recordboy wrote:Quoting that first link "The 12-inch vinyl single (often simply calle 12″ vinyl) is a type of gramophone recor that has wider groove spacing compared t other types of vinyl records. This allows f louder levels to be cut on the disc by th cutting engineer, which in turn gives wider dynamic range, and thus bett sound quality. This vinyl record type commonly used in disco and dance mus genres, where DJs use them to play i discos or clubs. They are played at eith 33⅓ or 45 rpm"
I mean that appears to be a definition of what a 12" record is yes, but I don't believe there are machines that are built that will cut effectively onto a vinyl pressed record. From what I know, people emboss on Lexan, and cut into actetate with an aluminum core.

sakuszi

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:54 am

nice video, regarding the styluses I bought from someone on ebay 2 pieces, diamonds [this was written] barely touched the plate to press, immediately broke out late cutting, installed a second knife, and this broke down after 2 minutes of cutting, so I went to a jeweler to check whether these are real diamonds or perhaps synthetic diamonds. The jeweler put a knife to the spectrometer and what turned out? one knife is made of semi-precious stone zirconia, the second was a glass mountain hard but they are far from even the hardened steel needles. Currently used sewing needles stamping, steel, while these can withstand up to 5 hours and brittle.

alexsation

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:35 am

I have long dreamed order to cut colored vinyl, but use a diamond stylus on the 2 disc is not reasonable. I own lots of styluses made of synthetic sapphire, they are very poor quality of sharpening, Recently I bought the equipment for polishing gemstones. I plan to sharpen the stylus to get the quiet the groove on the pressed disks. I'm not sure I'll get a good result, but I have already have spent a lot of money and I will not back down)))
Best regards, Alexey Sobolev.
http://www.vinylium.ru
http://shop.vinylium.ru

Self-lather

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:18 pm

Cool! You learn something new everyday. I had no idea you could get good results cutting to these with diamond.

alexsation

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Last time I broke a 4 diamond stylus in a single week, I'm over it!)) Now going to experiment on sapphire

Casanova

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:20 pm

alexsation wrote:Last time I broke a 4 diamond stylus in a single week, I'm over it!)) Now going to experiment on sapphire
alexation I'm working on a diy lathe and cutting head with small drivers, the same ones that Ciuens is using now, and I'd like to understand if there is a true cost effective solution for cutting stylus.
I saw your sapphire stylus on ebay and I'm thinking to buy one to learn embossing and cutting and experiment with something cheap. Send me the most sharp stylus you have pleas, or if you can try to sharpen it :) ).

Thanks for your help!
Andrea

Sillitoe

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:35 pm

I HIGHLY recommend Myshank styli (and blanks).
I've been testing my variable depth system and the diamond is still cutting perfectly.
Cheers
James

alexsation

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:12 am

Myshank is selling very high quality stylus I too recommend it, and always from him I buy. I do not know a single person who can cut out pressed discs. If in the near future I will be able to get a good result sharpening stylus and get quiet groove, then I shall necessarily tell all about it)))

tricks

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:39 am

yep... myshank does a good job. highly recommended! really like the blanks (1,5mm). Looking forward to the new 2mm ones.
...would love to cut some pressed blanks, too, but I think I have to re-enable my rekokut lathe for that, due to there are just diamonds available for VRT560 (if I'm right?!?!). Too expensive experiment for my wallet.