diamond cutting styli wanted

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

chris king

diamond cutting styli wanted

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:11 pm

are there other suppliers of diamond cutting styli other than my shank. ?? Am I right in thinking a presto styli is around 20 mm 3/4 inch long and a Grampian one is around 15 mm long. I need to be sure that I get the right one for a presto head. the guy at my shank is working in berlin and is too busy at the moment to measure them.

thanks chris

socialroots

Re: diamond cutting styli wanted

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:01 pm

Just buy a presto long shank from Myshank. I dont get why you need to have Steven measure,i think its pretty standard unless u want a specific custom size. There is Todd Mariana in the states that does diamonds as well. There are others that resale Myshank stylis online aswell.
Maximum respect,
Patrick

chris king

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 pm

thank you Patrick the reason im asking is because someone I have been told about received a Grampian one recently instead of a presto one and it did not work....... he also damaged it trying to set it up not knowing he had been sent the wrong one.. I just don't want to do the same so was just asking to avoid any problems. nothing more nothing less. ill order one tomorrow respect back at you.

The Shank

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 am

Yes please help that guy
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

socialroots

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 am

Got a question for the styli experts,ive only bought sapphire enbossing cones,tungsten cones n diamonds for use in my cutting work .
Only the tungsten cones came to me with all pretty much the same legnth( i always use n order long shanks), i have 3 sapphire cones n 3 diamonds ,while they are all long shanks,they are all.visible to be different lengths, so can someone tell me if there actually is a standard length when it comes to long shank styli n short shank styli?
I imagine that every mono cutterhead was either a longshank or shortshank model,but did every styli manufactuers longshank or shortshank measure the same?
Maximum respect,

Patrick

soeffingodly

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:38 am

I've noticed that the metal part of the needle is the same (long or short) but it's usually the size of the stone that can differ. IE - I have 2 short shank sapphires for my Grampian head but one was waaaay shorter than another one due to the stone size/length. I assume that is due to resharpening and being sent back out into the world but I'm no professional by any means. :Shrugs:
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

socialroots

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:22 am

With the diamonds since the stylis r new,the stone is pretty much the same size,but the alum.shaft length r all different,hasnt been a problem for me cuz i completly re adjust n callibrate after changing to a styli. I guess i could trim if needed.
The sapphire embossing cones r differen in stone size and shaft size,understanable cuz they repurposed from regular lacquer cutting sapphires which is very cool in itself cuz recycleing is great practice!i bought a3pack n even the color was different on each styli!
Maximum respect
Patrick

soeffingodly

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 am

socialroots wrote:With the diamonds since the stylis r new,the stone is pretty much the same size,but the alum.shaft length r all different,hasnt been a problem for me cuz i completly re adjust n callibrate after changing to a styli. I guess i could trim if needed.
The sapphire embossing cones r differen in stone size and shaft size,understanable cuz they repurposed from regular lacquer cutting sapphires which is very cool in itself cuz recycleing is great practice!i bought a3pack n even the color was different on each styli!
Maximum respect
Patrick
Yeah I have not had any issues either since I always re-work everything when I set up a new needle. I haven't really used any diamonds and the sapphire embossing cones have been pretty standard size wise (sans the stones) but I'm not measuring them, either. :)

-S
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."