SOLD: Rek-O-Kut Lathe + Presto Head

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jeffthompson

SOLD: Rek-O-Kut Lathe + Presto Head

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi there everyone, I'm selling my vintage Rek-O-Kut disc cutting lathe and wanted to give the Lathe Trolls first dibs before posting it to Reverb! This 60+ year-old beast cut over 100 records for a project I did several years ago, but it's taking up space and is finally time to go to someone who will use it.

Photos:
Lots of images here: https://imgur.com/a/st7WKBc

Details:
Vintage Rek-O-Kut model LP-743 disc cutting lathe, Rek-O-Kut Master Pro Model M-5 cutting mechanism, and Presto head. Also includes a custom-made RIAA filter and VU meter box, a small DIY vacuum pump for removing swarf while cutting, three not-great-but-ok steel cutterheads, and a big pile of homemade acetates so you can practice.

Caveats:
The lathe worked great for me but I haven't used it in a few years. The Presto head doesn't seem to be working, though it was repaired before I bought it. Everything inside looks ok, but I'm not enough of an expert to try to repair it. The playback tonearm does not work, sadly, though it might just need a new needle. The cover is also missing, unfortunately, but the cutting mechanism doesn't fit with it on anyway.

Updates/mods:
The motor inside the lathe has been completely rewired (the old wires were sketchy and falling apart). I installed modern 1/4" input/output (the originals were some weird in-between size) and a modern AC power jack. The plate for audio in/out and the little baseplate under the cutting mechanism are the only non-original parts.

Asking $1500, which is about what I paid for the lathe itself.

**Super** heavy, so local pickup only. I'm in downtown Jersey City, USA right across the river from NYC.

Happy to answer any questions!

jeffthompson

Re: Rek-O-Kut lathe and Presto head for sale

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 am

EDIT: Happy to discuss shipping if anyone is interested (the whole thing is about 30 lbs)

jeffthompson

Re: Rek-O-Kut lathe and Presto head for sale

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:33 pm

EDIT: Sold!