WANTED: Diamond cutting stylus for my presto 6N

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

1wizkid

WANTED: Diamond cutting stylus for my presto 6N

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:03 pm

I've been embossing with excellent results using my Presto 6N. I'd like to try cutting. From what I can tell, the place to go is myshank. I created an account there and while I received the email welcoming me I'm not able to login to the site. It gives me an error saying I need to contact them. Using the "contact us" to report this problem has not worked either (no response). So...
1. Anyone from that site here who can help me place an order?
2. Anyone have a working contact point there that could intervene on my behalf and ask them to see if they can get my account working?
3. Or, as anyone aware of any other sites available to make this type of purchase?

Thanks!

powerstrip

Re: WANTED: Diamond cutting stylus for my presto 6N

Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:05 pm

He will get back to you. Give it a couple days or email him.

Or I could sell you some blanks and a stylus if you want ... I’m based in USA

1wizkid

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate it and value your time.
I am willing to purchase from you. I've contacted the site several times over the last month with no response so I don't not think they are seeing my messages. I'm sure the would respond if they did.

Do I need the heating unit too? I've heard some say they just heat the disk and not the needle. What has your experience been in this regard (to heat or not to heat the needle, that is the question).

What do you charge for blanks / needle?

Thanks!
Richard

coreybauer

Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:54 am

Chiming in here as I recently did my first practice cuts with a diamond on my Presto 6N. I used the 462 P from My Shank and was able to get some pretty nice sounding and well tracking grooves just heating the disc up a bit past 90 degrees and brushing the swarf to the center with a soft paintbrush. My understanding is a heated stylus is optimal though to minimize surface noise and prolong the life of the stylus, but should only be attempted with a proper vacuum setup as the material will melt onto the diamond and ruin it otherwise. I also had some issues with the My Shank site initially. I think it's a technical issue of some sort that was resolved by messaging him in instagram.

powerstrip

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:11 pm

Ok sure I sent you a PM gimme a shout

Fatmark

Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:18 am

Hey

Was wondering how your results have been since trying cutting with 6n and a diamond? I have been trying to cut with myshanks diamond and a 1d cutter head recently !

1wizkid

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:31 pm

I've had excellent success using it with a stereo cutting head on my 6N. I want to add heat to the stylus and see how that improves quality so I've been working on designing/adding a vacuum system. I've yet to fully finush that but my hacked up prototype is working. Next step is to clean it up and redo some pieces that I quickly formed simply for testing purposes. Once my schedule clears up I'll set aside the time to finish that - maybe end of summer

piaptk

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:33 pm

I'd be interested to see your suction system. 6Ns are difficult to get the suction tube behind the stylus.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

1wizkid

Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:13 am

I'll send some pictures.