Vortexion AD/47 Disc Cutting Amplifer

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

trifocaltrev

Vortexion AD/47 Disc Cutting Amplifer

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:24 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have recently purchased one of the above amplifiers and I am looking for any in formation and a schematic for it. Can anyone help?

Regards
Trevor.

Stevie342000

Re: Vortexion AD/47 Disc Cutting Amplifer

Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:18 am

Hello and the answer is no never come across anything other than adverts for it. It was not in production for long either and the only option is to draw out the circuit from the actual unit.

Take it one stage at a time i.e. start with the front end or the power supply and then put all the bits together....then you can post it here for others to peruse.

A lot of the Vortexion manuals as well as circuit diagrams are hard to find, I have one for the Vortexion PA No 1 which says it is offense to share the information as it is protected by the Ministry of War and yes that does have the schematic it. When it was driven by a modern hybrid preamplifier with Moving Coil cartridge capability it was the quietest amplifier I had heard...absolute silence. It was an early design from about 1937 when 6V6s were new.

I suspect your unit may be a modification of the that or the Wimbledon Super 50 amplifier if it uses 6L6 valves. You can find the later on line if you look, it may help you out to figure out your current circuit diagram.

Remember it is pre RIAA so the equalisation will be odd and non standard for today. So you will have to ask yourself some questions do you want to keep it original or modify it is in some way to meet modern standards if you intend to use it to cut discs.

Some pictures would be nice as well, not sure I for one have seen one in the flesh. Most of the other Vortexion schematics and manuals relate to mixers or Tape machines.

My advice is do not power it up with a variac or a lamplimiter....as you may kill the transformers and then that will be an issue. Replace all the capacitors before you even get to powering it up and possibly the resistors, those dog and bone resistors are or may be a lot more accurate than you think. Check resistors in anode loads they may be out and if you do not know what you are doing then get some who does to do it OK....