SOLD: DIY Lathe Build for Sale

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rworsman

SOLD: DIY Lathe Build for Sale

Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:55 pm

A few months back, I started making a vinyl recorder and record lathe for fun. I started this as a hobby while my wife and I were expecting our first child and I gave myself a deadline to finish it before the due date. I didn't make the deadline and now I'm much too busy to wrap this up.

I'm looking for someone who is interested in a DIY project and would like a bit of a head start with buying and assembling the components. All in, I've spent about $675 on parts and that is what I would like to get back. I figure that someone will likely spend a few hundred more dollars to finish the prototype, depending on what gear you already have.

I'll try to be as detailed as possible about what I've done so far, but please message me with any questions and interest in the project. I've posted the machine on Reverb, and I'd prefer to handle any transactions through that site so that everything is transparent and easy. Here is the link to the listing: https://reverb.com/item/59959511-desktop-record-lathe-project

Here's what I've been doing:

I've been following the lead of this Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9dJRgjcsHA&t=5s). The gentleman posted the entire parts list, written directions to follow, and CAD files for the parts that he got 3D printed for the cutter head, brackets, mounts, counterweights, etc.

So far, I've...
  • assembled the frame,
  • assembled all 3D printed components,
  • mounted the linear rail and stepper motor,
  • mounted the transducers to inside the cutting head,
  • wired the transducers to a port on top of the head, and
  • mounted all components (3D printed parts, dashpot, z-axis adjuster, counter weights, etc) to the carriage that connects to the linear rail.
I did some testing with the linear rail. The stepper motor and driver that I wired operated the linear rail as expected.

As far as I can tell the next steps are: finish wiring the cutting head so that it can interface with an audio source, get the frame aligned with a turntable, insert a stylus, and do some test cuts. Obviously, that's an over simplification of the process, but those are the general next steps I would have been taking.

Like I said, happy to talk more about this project and where you'd need to jump in. It's been a lot of fun, and I hope that it can help someone who is interested and has the time to see it to the finish line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rworsman

Re: DIY Lathe Build for Sale

Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:26 am

Update: I sold this one Reverb. Happy to see that there was interest in this. Makes me want to build another one (as soon as I have the free time to do so!)!

ThirtyThreeAndA3rd

Re: DIY Lathe Build for Sale

Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:24 pm

Hi! Awesome machine! Any way you could build another one to sell?

chrix

Re: SOLD: DIY Lathe Build for Sale

Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:04 am

Amazing! Any chance You want to share some of the 3d parts? :)

CutR

Re: SOLD: DIY Lathe Build for Sale

Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:22 am

Looks like he built our very own troll David Nelsons DIY lathe which you can build yourself too.
https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9187&start=20#p60434