SOLD: Presto K-8 Recorder Lathe Complete Working

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

timinbovey

SOLD: Presto K-8 Recorder Lathe Complete Working

Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:35 pm

I have decided to sell the Presto K-8 that I've had tucked away for a few years. Who needs 5 record lathes? "No One" says my wife, LOL. I haven't touched this for about 3 years or so, and it's been at least 7 since I cut anything on it.

Far as I know it's all original and unmodified. Motor/platter engages and runs as it should with decent torque Likely needs cleaning and fresh lubrication. Amp works. When signal is applied it is indicated strongly on the meter. Playback arm actually plays back with the original cartridge in it! Sounds pretty good, too. I am not able to do any test cuts on this as I have no blanks to work with. When signal is applied to the mic or radio inputs, levels are shown on the meter and I can feel the needle vibrating in the cutting head. It's a Presto cutter, model unknown. Someone smarter than me will probably recognize what it is. Resistance (Ohms) of the cutting head reads 2.8 ohms. Speaker sounds nice. Mat for the turntable is missing. I have never had this machine opened up, so if someone has updated capacitors, etc it wasn't me, and I have no idea if that has been done. I notice minimal hum when playing records, etc and that's with jury-rigged input wiring. Case shows usual wear and is solid. Probably a quick afternoon of setting this up and it may very well be ready to work.

I would prefer NOT to ship it, but could be talked into it. I am in northern Minnesota, USA near Grand Rapids (That's MINNESOTA not Michigan) and would travel East as far as Duluth, West as far as Bemidji, or south as far as Mora to meet up with someone. $1500.00 as is. If you sweet-talk me into shipping it that would be additional, probably around $100 or so to ship depending on distance. As you know it makes for a large and heavy box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timinbovey

Re: For Sale Presto K-8 Recorder Lathe Complete Working

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:35 pm

The K8 has been sold !