Wanted: Disc Cutting Machine

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Foxrec

Wanted: Disc Cutting Machine

Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:27 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a disc cutting machine, I came across it while searching the net on the VORTEX company but I don't trust to order from them.
Could someone tell me where to find a stereo recorder I've been looking for a while, my friend from PHONOPRESS in Italy told me to come here.
Thanks for your help
here is my email if you have sellers to advise me
lordel.olivier_at_live.fr

apoklis

Re: Wanted: Disc Cutting Machine

Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:44 pm

This is the one i want
Complete VMS70/SX74/VG66 set-up for sale. It's a complete and fully operating cutting room with SW Davies mastering console, DAC and monitors. The lathe is upgraded with Vinylium Pitch98 (installed by Flo). VG66 amplifiers re-capped and serviced.

Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:40 pm

Sillitoe Audio Technology is making what appears to be a nice looking unit.
https://www.sillitoeaudiotechnology.com/
I'm not sure if all of their pre-orders are filled yet or not. They appear to be researching a metal cutting option too.
Good Luck!

Finewool

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:44 am

2043 wrote:
I'm not sure if all of their pre-orders are filled yet or not. They appear to be researching a metal cutting option too.
Good Luck!
that could be a serious game changer. Hope it doesn’t become the next Phonocut
short run and one-off cutter
lathe cut camp alumni
https://www.razzyrecords.com/

mjdoesvinyl

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:48 am

Agnew Analog is working on a lathe with plans to show it off in an exhibition in July.

Finewool

Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:10 pm

mjdoesvinyl wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:48 am
Agnew Analog is working on a lathe with plans to show it off in an exhibition in July.
that seems like that would be a total monopoly if it’s widely accessible. Especially if it’s relatively cheap.
short run and one-off cutter
lathe cut camp alumni
https://www.razzyrecords.com/

Thelurker

Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:22 am

Finewool wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:44 am
2043 wrote:
Good Luck!
that could be a serious game changer. Hope it doesn’t become the next Phonocut
Lots of fancy renders over the last 6 years or so, would be nice to actually see something in action!

trailerparkjesus

Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:48 am

the agnew lathe wont be cheap, he makes hand made professional equipment... which he'll need to charge for. Unless he out sources the machining maybe, but still.. don't expect Souri prices.

tragwag

Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:31 am

the Sillitoe and the Agnew lathes will be intended for lacquer cutting, as far as I can tell.
expect their price range to reflect that - a lacquer cutting system, Scully, Neumann, etc will be at least $100K, if not more.

just setting expectations here!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Sylvere

Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:14 pm

Sillitoe price around $98.000 AUD....

apoklis

Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:29 pm

Konstantantin has promised to interduce his new lathe next month. TKV is his brand. He put out a stereo head about a year ago that was really good. It retailed at somewhere around USD $3K . Mike Dixon at lathe part sold them and I think, Mike will be selling the lathes in the US. Also, look at VR t560 by souri (Germany)and my shanks has a nightingale stereo system with overhead (France ). Then if you want a refurbished presto or rekokut , again Mike ( recordlathe parts )always seems to have them.(US) . These are options that are under 10k US depending on options. Just things to look at and poeple you could trust .

Thelurker

Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:25 pm

apoklis wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:29 pm
Konstantantin has promised to interduce his new lathe next month. TKV is his brand. He put out a stereo head about a year ago that was really good. I retailed at somewhere around 3k US . Mike Dixon at lathe part sold them and I think, Mike will be selling the lathes in the US. Also, look at VR t560 by souri (Germany)and my shanks has a nightingale stereo system with overhead (France ). Then if you want a refurbished presto or rekokut , again Mike ( recordlathe parts )always seems to have them.(US) . These are options that are under 10k US depending on options. Just things to look at and poeple you could trust .
A few people have said that the TKV cutter heads can’t cut loud. So only good for cutting long quieter sides.

apoklis

Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:24 pm

Studio loud, no, but not as quiet as embossing . But half the price of a nightengle , and less then a quarter of westex . again all about budget . I think the best idea is get something and see what you can do . Then up grade.

EposLab

Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:50 pm

trailerparkjesus wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:48 am
but still.. don't expect Souri prices.
..also don't expect Souri Craftsmanship & SQ . Jesus' products are simply superior.

Hope soon to get his stereophonic cutterhead..
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

Tom The Phonocat

Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:50 am

tragwag wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:31 am
the Sillitoe and the Agnew lathes will be intended for lacquer cutting, as far as I can tell.
expect their price range to reflect that - a lacquer cutting system, Scully, Neumann, etc will be at least $100K, if not more.

just setting expectations here!
I think Jesus was once saying something around 45K Euro (I might be wrong) . Let's not forget about an absolutely brilliant and already used in many cutting rooms - AM44 by Flokason. You might get the most basic version for around 40K Euro. Im sure Jesus's lathe will be super High Quality. Great time for vinyl. Seeing all those wonderful machines produced by some of the finest minds. I'm not really sure about Sillitoe as well . It doesn't seem to have the well-needed weight to it.

boryo

Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:59 pm

To me it looks like something like VR is needed.
EposLab wrote:
..also don't expect Souri Craftsmanship & SQ.
When I found this forum like 6 years ago, some people back then were saying they gonna make a better machine and now in 2023 nobody has finished anything and on the other side you have Souri's machine who is running hundreds of businesses worldwide maybe for about 20 years so its just not fair to comment on his machine if you haven't built your own or have his.
Otherwise, Im sure Jesus's head will be great! Waiting for it for a few years and looks like its coming to and end

EposLab

Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:23 am

boryo wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:59 pm
To me it looks like something like VR is needed.
EposLab wrote:
..also don't expect Souri Craftsmanship & SQ.
When I found this forum like 6 years ago, some people back then were saying they gonna make a better machine and now in 2023 nobody has finished anything and on the other side you have Souri's machine who is running hundreds of businesses worldwide maybe for about 20 years so its just not fair to comment on his machine if you haven't built your own or have his.
Otherwise, Im sure Jesus's head will be great! Waiting for it for a few years and looks like its coming to and end
Europe is full of Fiat , Volkswagen etc. Sure they work fine but that doesn't mean they're the best out there.
Speaking about quality now , 20 years says nothing to me since Presto , ROK and other brands count more than 3x the age with amazing Construction and Accuracy.
Its up to what everyone needs and it's always nice to have plenty of options :-)
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

organicmusic

Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:57 am

Or something like this, build by Scheffner/Organic Music for professional mastering
Schneidemaschine 06 .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flozki

Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:41 pm

yes scheffner might be the only alternative at the moment to a FLoKAson AM44. (if you watch carefully the connaisseur will recognize is a lot of flokason technology built around...)
of course if you just want plastic you might one of the lucky souri cutter customers (with very hard filtered ,customer evaluation for good reason) or go with an old presto. or even better build yourself.

but speaking of a new pro cutting lathe.
AM44 most basic version is around 35k. neumann style grey cast body, 30ies rinkle black coated . 12"vacuum platter. direct drive.dovetail linear unit.hgh precision 1mm spindle. suspension box with depth coil.
then you need a cutting amp: vc200b around 5-6k. ultracut starts at19k .
and a decent feedback cutting head: dialba:9k, dialba_brass: 12k , dmm head: 14k la callas: 33k. (limited stock caruso:1k8, sx68 :6-8k, sx74 :8-14k)
only a few are pulled out every year. and no preorders anymore. prefer to build a system and if its ready. it can find a new home.
but its real. around 20 out in the kraut. from very lowest cost (which we dont do anymore as some people think this was a standard am44) to dmm version everything is possible if you have the vision and the fundings.

the reason why there is not a real big choice other than this. its quite complex .
(not only a cheapo linear unit and some sort of a turntable. thats easy to build)
many many different parts. no one has a real development budget and if you want to build just a decent feedback cutterhead with some sort of long term service you need to go to almost mass production. at least 200-500 parts. or even more. so counting up only the cutterhead sums up to an impressive budget. not speaking of tools, quality control... this is sadly big game. also there should be a certain constant quality and parameters. it does not help a lot if you have a one off head and try to play in the pro cutting game. difficult.
i love all kind of alternatives and one off heads. its definitely possible. but its a one of a kind, non repeatable thing. and its a different thing if you build that and know how to fix or if you just user and make a living with cutting.

we have a history of 25 years now. we still fix & support the first kingston dubplate cutters showing up in late 90ies early 2000.
we still support the first pitch98 pitch controllers and we can help sometimes with other stuff to bring that machines back to life.

many people dreamed and announced cutterheads since i cut my first records.
even some very big names in the cutting business. nothing happened.once a small series of 5-6 heads came out. spare parts not available. the guy is sadly gone. but otherwise. nothing. as soon as you leave the renderings and close the feedback loop it mostly gets very quiet....sometimes even before.
just scroll through the 18 years of history in this forum... check all the announcements and see what came out. and there where even more.

and thats just the head. so there is amps. pitch controllers. direct drives, linear units .machines. a concept......so many things to solve.

so if you buy something:
ask these questions.visit the builders.not only the IG-posts get a testcut done on a plate that you can play on your deck. check what are the products. solutions. history and situation of service and repair in the next few years...

happy cutting. f