Found a guy in Venice, Ca willing to Re-Polish Saphire Styli

Links to helpful record-lathe-oriented services (repair, equipment) and their websites.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JayDC

Found a guy in Venice, Ca willing to Re-Polish Saphire Styli

Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:48 pm

hello everyone..

It's been quite a while since I been around these parts, my life has been evolving and changing at a pace I'm not used to.

That being said..

I found a jewel cutter in Venice Beach, that has a facet cutting machine, and said he should have no problems restoring used styli to specs.

Also he said he would only be willing to do this for saphire styli, and not diamond styli because of the ware on the polishing discs..

This is an older fellow, has been cutting stones for almost his entire life. Spends most of his time polishing crystals for children. He can't really read or write, but he is willing to do this work..

I'm trying to help him get an order form online, so he can have people send their used styli to a po box in venice.

I think he'll charge about 30-40 dollars, plus return shipping, depending on the styli.

I figured I should let you guys know b/c everyone has been looking for this guy.. :D

I should be meeting up with him this week to finalize the process in which he will conduct business.. He's not big on computers, b/c like i said, he can't really read nor write..

I'll ask him if its ok to post his phone number, so any questions you might have can be directed his way.

Hope everyone is doing well, I have a box of 5 new apollo dubplates on ebay if anyone is interested, I'm sure if you search the normal keywords it will show up..

markrob

Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:36 am

Hi,

That sounds like great news! Have you had him give it as try on a dead stylus yet? Based on some of my experiments, I think it may not be so easy for him to do. There are some technical issues relating to cutting stylii that don't exist for normal gem faceting that he will need to come up to speed on. In particular, I'd be conecerned that he would be able to re-create the burnishing facets. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Mark

JayDC

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:13 pm

hmm... I do have a couple 462's and a 362 that could be polished up, although I don't have a cutter with me atm to test them, if someone here wants to test them out, I'm sure we could arrange something.

I'd like that someone to be one of the people here that cut regularly, I think emorrit has that presto 6n, the styli that I have is for one of those..

I think that my man can make the proper cuts on the stones, like I said, he's done it all his life.. He also understood what I was asking him, so I'm sure he understands the technicals, he just said to me "give me the specs, and I can do it.."

he also said that he doesn't want to do diamonds, b/c they ware out his grinder discs, and I didn't even ask about diamonds..

shawnrbritton

Styli Polisher in Venice, CA?

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:41 pm

This is a very fascinating possibility. It would be a boon if he can polish modern styli, as those things are not cheap.

SRB
"The Sixties were an era of extreme reality. I miss the smell of tear gas. I miss the fear of getting beaten." Hunter S. Thompson —Independent on Sunday, October 12, 1997

cymbalism

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:18 pm

has anyone used this fella for getting their used ruby/sapphire up to par? also, anyone find someone who can do diamond? i havent started using my diamond from vinylium yet but when the time comes to replace or repair - i'd much rather repair
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

UNIVOX

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:00 pm

any developments on this? I got me a sapphire that needs sharpening.

I've been trying to find a jeweler here in Indiana that has a faceting machine and is open to trying this.

Question!... how should I go about finding measurements and angle specs of my styli? I'm using a long shank sapphire for a presto k8.