Diamond cutting Stylli

Links to helpful record-lathe-oriented services (repair, equipment) and their websites.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mossboss

Diamond cutting Stylli

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Hey all
There is another thread with quite a number of post's here "Diamond useless" care of the sausage
It goes back a few months when he raised the issue with a few suggestions discussions etc
So if any of you are wondering why from a passive bystander I became an active participant in the quest for diamond cutting is due to emoritt and his photos
I relised that a better job can be done
I have seen enough Adamant styli since we use them as well as Caps micropoints and some other oddball stuff
Keep in mind that I have never broken a stylus I am extremelly carefull of the cutting head as they are now getting as rare as rocking horse shit and expensive to repair
I found it hard to believe that one can break a stylus, we wear them out we replace them it is part of the job
I never had the need or will to investigate them
The prompt was emoritt posting these photos of a broken diamond stylus
It pointed out to me at least the issues as well as the challenges ahead for the attempt to get these things made
The benefit may be that we as pro's get a result to use them
My attempts to get the standard sapphires re-sharpened come to nought
The reason is that to resharpen them you have to remove the heating coil so you can mount them for sharpening rewind it later, fine for hobby but not for pro use
This excersise indicated the cost to be close to a new stylus so it was abandoned
Just as a pointer Diamond generates static so the chip coming of the lacquers stick's to it ruining the cut
So I shyed away from it as I could not see any direct benefit to my little outfit
However in the process of experiments with diamond it dawned on me that there may be an answer therefore the sudden increase in interest
So for all of you out there looking for diamond to cut on hard stuff
Or pro's that are sick of paying a lot of dough for a sapphire stylus for a couple of cuts and than spend a couple of hours replacing it and aligning, besides having an alternative source remember and say LONG LIVE Emoritt
Inspiration, prompting and all of that come from Him (caps) and him alone
(I personally hate monopolies, Starting to sound like Simon)

Cheers
Chris

Simon

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:49 am

I never said anything. :lol:
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

mossboss

Simon

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13 am

You never do Most of the times one liners :)
Than a burst of :x :evil: and a couple of pages :lol:
Cheers
Chris

Simon

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 am

I am never a one liner

There you go here is two.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.