suction tubing for VMS70

Links to helpful record-lathe-oriented services (repair, equipment) and their websites.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

humongous

suction tubing for VMS70

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:10 pm

I have searched this site but haven't been able to come up with a solid answer. I need suction tubing for the VMS70 that I have been working on. J6 in the manual, about 3 feet long. I don't know what size to get specifically and what is the best kind. I've seen the link for surgical tubing but can someone tell me exactly what to order for best results. Even if I have to buy way more than I need, I am willing to do so. Maybe I can make my excess available to someone else on the forum who might need some....Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff Powell
drybonz at aol dot com

opcode66

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I replaced mine with tubing available at Home Depot.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

humongous

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 pm

3/4 inch clear plastic tubing? That's what I've been using but it's a lot of trouble, I have to clean it out after every side I cut because it clogs up. Do you have a brand name or any more specifics on what works well for you? thanks.
Jeff Powell
drybonz at aol dot com

opcode66

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:15 pm

You need to put something rigid in the end that goes in the chip jar to keep it fully open. Otherwise, pressure will cause the opening to start to close. If you put a piece of rigid plastic tubing in that end you won't have that issue.

If it is pinching at other points then try spiraling it up out of the hole in the back of cabinet. Otherwise try chinging the lenght. I got mine positioned so it doesn't pinch and also so the end doesn't close with the extra piece of rigid plastic pipe.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Kiss the Groove

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:46 am

Surgical hose is very flexible, but not very resistant to crushing from vacuum. It's been a long time since I saw a Neumann setup, but I seem to remember that it used a gum rubber hose. Go to McMaster-Carr's web site and search on 5543K46 as a starting point, and you'll see a whole pageful of sizes and wall thicknesses.

My boss always used cornstarch on new installations to keep the chip from sticking in the tubing. He'd run the vacuum pump and slowly feed about a tablespoon of it into the open hose end. I never saw a clogged hose the whole time I worked for him.

Cheers - KtG

dietrich10

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 pm

http://www.gvc.net/p/3475/latex-tubing
3/4 x 1/8 x 1"

there are less expensive options for it too.
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

audadvnc

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 pm

The cornstarch fix is interesting. I've used talcum powder to cut down on parts sticking in other applications, perhaps it would work in vacuum hoses also.

piaptk

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 pm

The clear plastic tubing collects static electricity... it sucks. The surgical tubing (translucent beige-ish color) is what I use... works fine...