Complete refurbishing of Meissner Model 9-1065

Links to helpful record-lathe-oriented services (repair, equipment) and their websites.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

vintagerecording

Complete refurbishing of Meissner Model 9-1065

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:13 am

Hello lovely people,

Starting my new project and would love to share some pictures and information on the way while working on this unit and exchange some ideas. I know this is not considered top class in the lather world but this is the most prettiest consumer recorder I have every seen. Some of you may as why I am spending my time and money on this.. well.. yes, but I love old audio equipment, tube based circuits and trashed units to bring back to life.

So I have bough this on ebay last month, this was the only one of Meissner I saw.

It is in a very lovely condition at ( let's not jump on the crystal heads yet, i know..) first sight, I was curious what am I facing at here without powering up:

1. No burnt or smoked parts.
2. The "death" caps.. 1 is completely came apart. This will be replaced by Y2 film caps.
3. Tone capacitors are Zenith most of them around all the pot's... weird that capacitance are spot on only on these Zenth types of capacitors... might keep them in place (?)
4. Other paper capacitors are Dubilier's all drifted and unrecognizable in condition. the 0.1uF before the cutter head is a large paper cap, also drifted, needs replacement.
5. Electrolytics... the power filter multi section cap's are 15-15 measuring 16-16 uF and 1 ohm ESR, this is pretty good, might keep them in.
6. The other two multi section electrolytic's are drfited and out of range with >40 Ohms ESR---> needs to be replaced.

7. Tubes are Tung-Sol, RCA and one red colored base one something lie O&D or something like that, could not make it out...
8. Motor switch was broken, needs replacing.

This was the first observation and now about to start with the capacitors and de soldering- re soldering them.

One question I have tho.... what type of grease do you use if you do use any at all on the cutting feed screw? It is pretty dry and full of dust.

The output section is something I have not seen before in front of me... the 600 Ohm Speaker Field.... interesting

Have a great weekend all ! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.