Aircastle home record cutter (NY area pickup) [CLOSED sale]

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JayDC

Aircastle home record cutter (NY area pickup) [CLOSED sale]

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:25 pm

post a couple pictures plz.. PM me a price..

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:29 pm

All of "Angry Jim's" posts were deleted, but it wasn't the admin! Some sort of glitch in the software?

Sorry about that. Jim, please feel free to post again!

angryjim2

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:24 am

Hey there folks.
yes I have this aircastle record cutter for sale. It had been refurbished by Gib (who did a great job by the way.. look at that newly flocked turntable!!) but got a little shook up un the shipping and is working inconsistantly.. the shipping costs make it prohibitive to send it back to get it repaired again. Plays AM radio and plays records fine, but records intermittently. I think some of the wiring needs to be looked at but Im not technically gifted enough to do this. I spent a bunch of money on it, but now it's just sitting there laughing at my failure. Anyone in the new york area ( I live in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, NY) who wants it can have it. Make me an offer. I'm willing to take a loss on this one and let it go cheap.

Jim Campbell

here is a picture:

angryjim2

Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:06 am

Hows about FREE? You can't beat free! Please! Give this cutter a good home!

cuttercollector

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:27 pm

This looks exactly like a Montgomery Ward Airline unit I have. Mine actually works somewhat. Same 78/33 General Industries deck used by Meissner, Bell, Masco and many others. Capable of decent results for a home machine if set up and tweaked in properly.

FStephenMasek

Wed May 21, 2008 4:18 pm

I have the same unit, but with a "Cascade" label. I think they were made by Audio Industries:

1) I found a web site selling needles which informed me that Audio Industries, Inc., in Michigan City, Indiana made models named A.M.C., Aldon, Ambassador, Artone, Cascade, Cavenaire, Cromwell, Diamondone, Fedway, Plymouth, and Ultratone.

2) Gib at West Tech has a photo on the disc recording section of his web site showing an Audio Industries cutter/player/radio which obviously has the saem chassis as your unit and my unit.

Here is my unit:

I rebuilt the electronics, and Gib rebuilt the cutter, player, and microphone heads, re-flocked the turntable, and dressed the turntable drive wheels.

I found it 11 years ago, left behind in a house we were inspecting for asbestos prior to demolition. The 6x5 rectifier tube and every other tube was bad, the transformer was cooked, the main function selector knob spun completely around (I rebuiilt and improved the switch with parts from a cutter I bought for $15 at an antique shop), and the rubber wires to the RF/IF can transformers were flaking. I also re-flocked the speaker grille.

Everything now works. I tried cutting a disc using both the radio and microphone inputs. I now need to get some neighbor kids or someone to sing something to make a record.

Member DK in York PA on the Antique Radios forum has an Audio Industries Ultratone unit and posted that General Industries, the maker of the player/cutter deck, came out with it in 1938.
Last edited by FStephenMasek on Mon May 26, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With rare exceptions, less government = more freedom, more hapiness, and more prosperity

cuttercollector

Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 am

Perhaps the whole thing was made by General Industries. I know they made the deck. As I stated previously I have seen Bell, Meissner and Masco units with the exact same mechanism. I have heard results from a restored Meissner and was pretty much blown away. Not in the sense of modern Hi Fi but very clean, quiet decent dynamic range and frequency response (for what it is). Perhaps as good or better in some ways than a contemporary 50s era home tape recorder.
GI also made the combination tape/disc recorder mechanism used by Wilcox Gay and others. They made a changer with the same record arm as these units shown. They made many of the turntable assemblies for smaller record players. AFAIK, they are the same company that went on to make Alliance antenna rotors too.

Image[/img]

FStephenMasek

Mon May 26, 2008 10:28 pm

That is a nice Airline version!

It certainly is possible that General Industries made the Audio Industries sets. Here is the link where I found the Audio Industries models listed:

http://www.jukemania.com/audioindustries.htm
With rare exceptions, less government = more freedom, more hapiness, and more prosperity

angryjim2

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:51 pm

oh hey. thought I should mention I found someone to give the cutter to. it's not availabl any more. Nice to see those others!! cool.

KM

Pics

Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:40 am

How do you add pics to posts . I followed the syntax on the message body but the photo did not appear.

so still dog

Re: Pics

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:13 pm

KM wrote:How do you add pics to posts . I followed the syntax on the message body but the photo did not appear.
If you upload a picture to imageshack.us it gives you code to use on forums

Clark

Audio Industries Ultratone

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi all,

I was doing a search in regards to a piece of equipment that will be in an Iowa auction and ran across this site of yours. Nice information. Wish I had found this a few years ago. Oh well.

This is not a spam by me as I know most are from New York area but thought the photo might be of interest to you and if you had any questions on the item I would be glad to help you out as long as it is before 07/19/08.

Anyways just for the record...

If any are interested in a pic of an Audio Industries Ultratone it can be seen at this site:

http://www.wilkauction.com/

Click on the Auction Calendar then the Darlene Mumm auction and at the bottom is a photo of one if of interest to anyone.

Thanks,

Clark

digitalbt

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Glad I found this page! I just purchased the Montgomery Ward model from ebay. It's on the way! Has anyone purchased a SAMS or other schematic for this machine you'd be willing to share? Or know where to find one?

digitalbt

My Airliner is now working - Video!

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Check out the video I made today here:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Cn6wUuNqk[/url][/list]

digitalbt

My Restored Record Recorder

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:31 pm

I did something wrong on my last post. Try this:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Cn6wUuNqk[/url]