Xray records

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, Simon, mossboss, Aussie0zborn, tragwag, Steve E.

Xray records

Unread postby piaptk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 pm

One of the problems I ran into gluing the thin lexan onto the xray is that the glue didn't seep into either of them (like it does paper), so it looked like a galaxy of grey stars when you didn't hold it up to the light, and an actual xray when you did... Which, I guess is pretty cool in and of itself.

Tags: X-Ray, "X-Ray"
Always looking for anything Presto 6N: Feedscrews, Cutting Heads, accessories, etc.
SHORT RUN PLASTIC CUTS!!! http://www.LatheCuts.com
piaptk

Unread postby piaptk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:57 am

I have a friend that has a Vinyl Recorder, and we cut on x-rays yesterday with no problem whatsoever... i was FLOORED. When I tried cutting with my Presto and a sapphire stylus, it was awful. But the xrays actually sound pretty good. Not quite as good as polycArb, but totally listenable!
Always looking for anything Presto 6N: Feedscrews, Cutting Heads, accessories, etc.
SHORT RUN PLASTIC CUTS!!! http://www.LatheCuts.com
piaptk

Unread postby Jccc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 am

Anyone have any good results cutting with a sapphire needle?

if so how did you set up the cutting head and weight?

I'm using a Presto 6n with a Audax cutting head. Ive messed around with different angles and weights and have gotten bad results on all test cuts.

Any help would be great.
Jccc

Unread postby piaptk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:20 am

I tried this again for a while with a sapphire... both cutting and embossing...Doesn't work at all.
piaptk

Unread postby Jccc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 am

Thank you for the reply. i came that conclusion as well. Its weird because the x-ray feels almost like a plastic picnic plate just a little thinner. Maybe its the material that's on it that make it cut messed up with the sapphire.
Jccc

Unread postby piaptk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 am

Ive tries cutting on film that doesnt have that weird matte brown sheeen on it, and it doesnt work either. Ive got one of The Shanks diamonds unused in the box, but im kind of gun shy to use it on xrays right now...
piaptk

Unread postby powerstrip » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 am

piaptk wrote:I tried this again for a while with a sapphire... both cutting and embossing...Doesn't work at all.

I'm trying this right now too, pretty horrid, the chip does interfere with the stylus. Getting decent swarf but still pretty awful noise ratio.

Found a whole ton of MRI's/x-rays in an old hospital recently, lucked out but now I think I may have to order a diamond stylus to do this. 6N + sapphire = my setup = not good for x-ray apparently.
powerstrip

Re: Xray records

Unread postby Jccc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 am

so i picked up a Diamond needle from The Shank and i cut a xray and got really good results!

Any other needle will not work on a xray.
Jccc

Unread postby Museum Music » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Jccc wrote:so i picked up a Diamond needle from The Shank and i cut a xray and got really good results!

Any other needle will not work on a xray.

Hi xray Trolls,
For my first post : picture of an xray cut.
Diamond stylus.
Awful Surface noise but encouraging !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Museum Music

Unread postby Fela Borbone » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 pm

I found out that not all x-ray sheets are the same. Some have a thin film on it, like laserdiscs. Some thicker. What works with ones dont apply to others.
also they are easily spoiled if not treated very carefully.
If you have a lot, try to separate different kinds, before getting mad!
Fela Borbone

Previous

Return to The Reference Archive