Vinyl-disc

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cdrk

Vinyl-disc

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Hello,

It seems nobody has posted this here, if so, my apologize.

Have you heard about the vinyl-disc ?
It is a cd including 3 minutes of vinyl on the edge, only one factory does it in Germany.
I asked them once the price, its 2000€ for 1000 records with adapter (they don't want to press less, sadly).
http://www.optimal-online.de/1.644.0.html (sory in German, I'm too lazy to translate).

It seems great but a bit expensive...

Die VinylDisc ist eine Kombination aus CD oder DVD und einer speziellen Schallplatte. Sie besteht aus zwei miteinander verbundenen Schichten. Der silberne Layer beinhaltet die digitalen Informationen, der obere schwarze
Layer kann auf jedem Plattenspieler abgespielt werden.
Die VinylDisc ist rechtlich geschützt und ein exklusives Produkt der optimal
media production.

[edit] I wrote a Wiki article about it, in English this time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl-disc

Aussie0zborn

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:47 am

I didn't want to edit your Wiki article but I disagree on the use of the term "vinyl-disc" to describe Optimal's hybrid product. A vinyl record has always been a "vinyl disc" , probaly so named becasue it is round and shaped like a... well, you know... a disc. Optimal can call it whatever they like but I dont think it deserves an encylopedia entry.

cdrk

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Aussie0zborn wrote:I didn't want to edit your Wiki article but I disagree on the use of the term "vinyl-disc" to describe Optimal's hybrid product. A vinyl record has always been a "vinyl disc" , probaly so named becasue it is round and shaped like a... well, you know... a disc. Optimal can call it whatever they like but I dont think it deserves an encylopedia entry.
Hello,
I agree with the fact that calling this record a vinyl-disc doesn't makes sense and sounds stupid.
But I think it deserve an entry simply because this format exists. Finding an other name would be an option or ?

MEGAMIKE

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:23 am

yes we can do.1/300.?.and they are picture disck too..
i can squezze about 2mins but i dont suggest anything clarity cause it is so far down the record the lathe is almost to the end. but rock or nosie projects would be just fine..

Aussie0zborn

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:32 am

I don't quite follow that Mike. Do you have a lathe?

MEGAMIKE

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 am

sorry yes(souri lathe)
we can cut a 5 inch flexi well a sticker really and it sticks to a cdr.or is that not wot were talkin about?this other company must press there 5inch 1000 runs, its too much and if they were all cut (lathe) then thats about 40 5inches per working day...ill do small runs no problem,quality wise on cutting on so small area is a problem too but our main problem is the myth that pressed records are better than lathe cut ones???
am i wrong????you tell me aussie? i might be ?
i think this needs a new thread ill put it up... :)

alienmanstk

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 am

megamike, what kind of stickers are you cutting onto?
Thanks!

MEGAMIKE

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:58 am

souris 5inch flexi..
it is 0.5 mm and has sticky adhessive on one side witch sticks onto any cd dvd.. :)

Aussie0zborn

Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 am

Thats impresive Mike. Do you have a website or any pics? A friend of mine soild a Scully lathe to a guy in Perth a couple of years ago. Do yo uknow if its up and running?

MEGAMIKE

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:29 am

no not yet and no but there is lots of prestos about 4 i can thinkof most are in museums . no other people i know of cutting or pressing.here..but there could be???? 8)
.those cdrs are easy to make .

Angry Jim

Sun May 10, 2009 10:20 pm

hey sorry I'm late and if I am repeating anything here. Those german cdr things look awesome. Unfortunately I dont speak german and google translate isnt being very helpful.

A bunch of questions.

1. anyone know if they sell them blank on top or only cut by them?
2. how much do they cost?
3. and are there minimum quantities?
3. what are you guys talking about with these stickers you cut onto? Can I buy those blank anywhere? (or are you selling a service mike?)
4. Or is this awesome thing only available to people who bought that german lathe? If so can I barter with you mike to get a few to play with? I dont have one of those cutters.