Monoaural sound

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

motorino

Monoaural sound

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:37 am

cuttercollector

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:44 am

After going to the site you linked to, I feel like I am in good company.
Rek-O-Kut table, GE arm cartridge and preamp with equalizer and an old Ampex tube powered speaker. Sounds kinda neet on the right records.

see the topic I started on this site here:
https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=933&mforum=lathetrolls

Simon

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:08 pm

This guy has great site - I have also posted some links in the past.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

VRCM

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 pm

A really good example of a newer mono record is Smashing Pumpkins Adore. The sound is amazing.
Tim

motorino

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:57 am

:shock: do you know more about this LP? where its cutted? in her site no info about :(
http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/discography/release/11466

VRCM

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:20 pm

My Adore ablbum says that it was mastered at Masterdisc by Howie Weinberg.
Tim

VRCM

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:23 pm

I actually do not know of any other recent albums in mono besides this one. If anyone else knows of any post about them.
Tim

cuttercollector

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Define recent.
There have been in the last few years some re-masters of classic Blue Note jazz lps on 10" in mono. Cut with a mono Westrex cutter.

VRCM

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:46 pm

I mean like 1990s to today. And new music too. Although those 10" ones sound cool. What are the titles? Are they 78 or 33 1/3?
Tim

cuttercollector

Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:13 pm

I thought they were 33 but I guess some are 45. It has become somewhat of a trend. I am not a classic 50s jazz collector so I have not paid full attention to this whole thing.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/sale.cfm?sale=bluenote_reissue_AP_2008
http://store.acousticsounds.com/category.cfm?sct=vinyl&id=22

Cutterwoller

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:29 pm

I heard somewhere that there were some issues that the Blue Note reissues did not have the infamous "Blue Note" sound. Maybe because they reissues were cut on a westex and Blue Note had a Grampian type D head on Scully Lathe. Who knows?

blacknwhite

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Lewis D wrote:I heard somewhere that there were some issues that the Blue Note reissues did not have the infamous "Blue Note" sound. Maybe because they reissues were cut on a westex and Blue Note had a Grampian type D head on Scully Lathe. Who knows?
I have owned (but re-sold) the 10-inch Blue Note reissues that were actually cut on a mono Westrex head, and further, they actually used some original antique 78-rpm record molds, so they had the flat surface, and the 78 rpm record contours with the "deep groove" in the label.

But otherwise, unfortunately, they Suck,if you're hoping to get the same original warm classic tube-amp sound that the Blue Note label had become famous for.

They were cut with SHALLOW grooves, and MAXIMUM modulation, and the grooves slap up against each other. So you cannot play them on older vacuum tube phonographs from that era, even players which play OTHER reissues just fine, because they skip; they must be played on modern high-compliance magnetic pickups. They sounded "modern", definitely not like the originals.

Which just goes to show: no matter how "cool" & "authentic" your gear is, it don't mean a thing unless the guy behind the controls knows what he's doing, and knows his target audience, and what kind of players they would be playing the records on.

Just like when the 45 rpm reissue companies cut reissue 45s of 1950s classics, advertising that they're "great for your old jukebox": But, half of them are cut so loud with no space between adjacent grooves, they skip like mad on old pickups. So folks in the classic juke trade often say as a rule of thumb, go for original 45's when you can, since originals play fine with deep grooves & plenty of land between, but reissues often skip.

But Capitol/EMI had an extensive reissue program in the 1990's (maybe early 2000's) of 12-inch 180-gram Blue Notes that they cut PERFECTLY! Some stereo, some mono... but... Perfect tone quality (warm, not shrill), perfect groove depth & spacing, JUST like the originals. Great stuff; wish I could personally thank that mastering guy.

- Bob