Vintage Articles on Record Cutting

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Vintage Articles on Record Cutting

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 am

I am not sure how I acquired these 6 interesting and sometimes very helpful articles. They were probably included with my Presto 6N, bought from "Nixiebunny," or they may have been sent by Alan Graves.

I'm not entirely sure of the copyright legality or ethics of posting these, but I suspect that they are out-of-print, at least in this format. Get 'em while you can.

Four articles by Oliver Read. The first is undated (probably 1941), most likely from Radio News magazine, and is missing its last page (which may just be a sentence or two):

"Building Your Own Recording Studio, part 4: Constant Amplitude vs Constant Velocity Recording."
O_Read_Constant_Amp_v_Constant_Vel.pdf

July, 1941. "Build a Deluxe Recording Amp."

O_Read_1941_07_build_amp.pdf

August, 1941. "Building Your Own Recording Studio, concluding article." Discusses studio layout and record cutting.
O_Read_1941_08_Build_Studio.pdf

November, 1941. "Disc Recording Series, part 3: Theory and Practice of Disc Recording."

O_Read_1941_11_Theory_Practice_Disc_Recording.pdf

I have guessed, based on an internet search, that this next scan is from the book "Modern Sound Reproduction" by Harry F Olson, Van Nostrand Reingold Publishing, 1972. It is from a chapter called "Disc Phonograph Recorders and Reproducers."
H_Olson_Disk_Phonograph_Cutter.pdf

And, for the finale, "Rejuvenating Disc Recorders" by Larry J. Gardener, from Broadcast Engineer Magazine, May, 1967.
L_Gardner_Rejuventating_Disc_Rec.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steve E. on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perisphere

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Here are scans of the pages of the article THE FUNDAMENTALS OF RECORDING by Oliver Read from RADIO WORLD of February 1940 (along with the front cover)....

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Vintage Articles on Record Cutting

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Hey, Perisphere, this is great!