cutting stylus angle: Microgroove vs 78 standard

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

cutting stylus angle: Microgroove vs 78 standard

Wed May 09, 2012 2:35 pm

A kind soul here sent me a steel audiopoint cutting stylus in the old 78 "Standard gauge."

I took a couple of very unscientific pictures of it using the camera in my phone.

In this picture, it is the center stylus. An Apollo 362 short shank is on the right.
angle-compare.jpg
Here is the stylus from the side:
side-angle.jpg
What do the experts say? Am I correct on these angles?

I've been told that the angle doesn't matter so much if I am trying to get a decent cut playable on a 78 machine: That it is the width that matters. The one advantage I can see to a 100 degree cut is that it would allow a wider groove without having to cut as deep into the acetate. This, by extension, potentially reduces the risk of cutting into the aluminum (is that a real danger?) and doesn't demand as much scooping out of material, which would stress the whole system less. Are these real concerns? Experts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: cutting stylus angle: Microgroove vs 78 standard

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:36 pm

bump! to be clear, I am trying to learn all the typical facet angles for 78 "standard" cutting needles of the 1940s.