Scully lathe in Portugal

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

scalawag

Scully lathe in Portugal

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Well, this was a big surprise!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RRnB7pUgJfQ/UYTc5Y64lrI/AAAAAAAAys4/9WkPRHOSTqE/s1600/OrfeuVinil.JPG

Anyone know what cutter head is mounted?

petermontg

Re: Scully lathe in Portugal

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:34 am

Nice find. What studio is it in.

It is the westrex head.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

scalawag

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 am

It's not in use anymore. It's exposed at a record shop in Lisbon. It was from an old label called Orfeu from Porto. The record shop where it's now exposed is also called Orfeu. The person whom i talked to about it says it doesn't work, but judging by the photos it's in good aesthetic shape.

opcode66

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm guessing it could be made to work. I don't see any amps though.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

scalawag

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 pm

I guess it could, but i'm sure it will need too much investment.
Anyone know how much could it be worth?

opcode66

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

I have no idea why you would say that. It look like it was very well taken care of. I've seen ones in a horrible state. That one looks great. Of course I can't see any of the internals or the back. But, what is pictured looks fantastic. As far as restorations are concerned, it doesn't seem like this one would be too bad.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

scalawag

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:59 pm

opcode66 wrote:I have no idea why you would say that. It look like it was very well taken care of. I've seen ones in a horrible state. That one looks great. Of course I can't see any of the internals or the back. But, what is pictured looks fantastic. As far as restorations are concerned, it doesn't seem like this one would be too bad.
I say that because the record label closed doors in 1983. I can try to get more informations about the lathe, but it must have been stored all this years and cleaned just to be exposed at the store. And who knows how is the head after all this years...

opcode66

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 pm

I have a ton of gear from the 80's that was kept well. Very little has had to be done to these items. They work like champs. Maybe some capacitor and transistor/opamp replacements. Maybe a power transformer. But, simple fixes. Unlike a Vinyl Recorder, you can actually get documentation and schematics for Scully and Neumann lathes. It is possible to fix them. Parts can be cloned if need be.

Anyway, this lathe is a demonstration of a mess. This was posted by flozki here https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3448&hilit=damaged

Last edited by opcode66 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scalawag

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm

opcode66 wrote:I have a ton of gear from the 80's that was kept well. Very little has had to be done to these items. They work like champs.
Yeah, i know what you mean. I have a Revox A77 mk4 that is still working very well!
Anyway, where can i find some manuals / schematics about this Scully? I'll try to talk with them and know more informations.

opcode66

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:18 pm

There are people on this site with such documentation. There are also a lot of Pro's who don't participate here whatsoever. Lathe techs and cutters who have no interest in the bickering and attitude that is found here. Plenty of these folks have original docs from their lathes or just from being in the industry as a tech for ages.

I have quite a lot of Neumann doc. From what I understand about Scully lathes, they are extremely straightforward. I'm pretty sure reverse engineering on this wouldn't be that difficult. Regardless, doc is out there. You do still need amps for the cutterhead. I'm wondering what else they may have hanging about??? Platter motor? P/D Computer? Who knows.

petermontg

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:22 am

That photo is all sorts of wrong, ouch!

Len will have everything you need and more. If your in Euro am sure someone will help you get it up and running. Very straight forward, say it has some rust and usual rewire needed after sitting so long. Bit of time and TLC, you would have a beaut of a lathe.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.