Automatic Program Equaliser Project & Problems with Cutting

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Stevie342000

Automatic Program Equaliser Project & Problems with Cutting

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:37 am

Found these by Accident when going through the links on another post about MSS recorders.

There is a whole mine of information on this Website, sure it has been mentioned here before but looks like he has updated it since I last looked, some files you can not print or save but these ones you can.

They are from Audio Engineering he has a few copies from 1947 or so onwards, the articles so far that I have found of interest are in this edition from April 1949 http://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/40s/Audio-1949-Apr.pdf

The first article of interest is Disc Recording for Broadcasters - it is the whole project from start to finish including how to build an NAB inverse equaliser (technically inverse RIAA) with a Automatic Equaliser. It looks like it could be of use. This article can be found from Page 9 onwards.

The other article relates to a topic our founder was discussing a day or two back it starts on Page 26 (I have not read it yet) - The Cutting Stylus Problem in Microgroove Recording.

There are other adverts or articles in earlier editions that state there was no advance in recording on discs in 10 year so from 1937, in edition they outperform a master tape on first playing (borne out by the BBC research papers - see another thread). These late 40s early 50s editions will cover the transition from Standard groove to Microgroove recording, along with stylus heating and much more.

There is so much information on this website, in the RCA Broadcast section (one of the ones you could not print or save with out a password), the RCA conversion for their cutting lathes to Microgroove is covered.

I for one have a few editions of Audio Engineering which I may send to this guy so that he can fill in the blanks in his collection in the early years.