Universal Transcription Lathe and Audio-Scriptions studio

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

douglaspomeroy

Universal Transcription Lathe and Audio-Scriptions studio

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:24 pm

The Universal transcription lathe (for which I have no model number) was use in the 1930s and 1940s as far as I can tell. I wonder if anyone has the instructions which came with it, which would show a set of specifications? I'm curious to know what
the frequency response was, using the same company's amplifiers? Also, does anyone have any info on the transcription studio called Audio-Scriptions, located on 45th Street (I think), in New York City?

markrob

Re: Universal Transcription Lathe and Audio-Scriptions studi

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi,

The Robert K. Morrison Book has a good deal of info on the Universal lathe and cutter heads. See this topic

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=904

Not sure if the book is still in print. Has some great info.

Also, check out US patent 2198080 I believe this describes the Universal cutter head. The interesting thing about this moving iron head is that no damping material was used. Instead the mechanical resonance was tuned to provide the needed high frequency boost. The idea being that once set , it would be more stable over temperature as compared with rubber damping materials in use back then. Provision was made to allow the peak to be adjusted by the end user. Kind of like tuning a guitar string.

Mark

douglaspomeroy

Re: Universal Transcription Lathe and Audio-Scriptions studi

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi markrob,

Yes, I have the Morrison book and it's great. I believe it is out of print. Many thanks for the patent info!

Doug