AR Sugden Cutting Head patents & some Presto Patents

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Stevie342000

AR Sugden Cutting Head patents & some Presto Patents

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I was looking up some patents for the Truvox tape machines yesterday when I found the stereo patent for the AR Sugden cutting lathe.

The patent for the mono head is US2606254 and the stereo cutting head patent is GB814015A. You can find the patent papers here: http://worldwide.espacenet.com/?locale=en_EP

There are numerous Presto Patents as well mostly for the crank handle, speed change and automatic equaliser. So far I have found no patents for the Presto cutting heads but they must be there as they will be for Ortofon, Neumann and others. There are some Fairchild patents as well but you really do need to know what you are looking for.

Suggested searches for Presto come under G J Saliba and or M M Gruber. The automatic equaliser patent number is 2247924 and the crank handle patent is 2262732.

There are several ways to find the patents (I am sure many of you know better than me) but you can search by organisation, patent holder and title. It is not the most intuitive search though.

Oh and there are Pyral patents as well for lacquer machines US2594364 and for tape.

Well I am off now to see if I can find any patents on Cutter Heads, there are patents there for CECIL WATTS as well he was licensed or made his own formula for lacquer but there are patents for cutting lathes by him as well. But I may have him confused with MSS.