Dr Dub cuts on Laserdisc

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

drdub

Dr Dub cuts on Laserdisc

Wed May 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Hello mates,

We experimented a little bit with laserdiscs in the past few days. Maybe it's interesting for you guys;)

We got pretty good results with preheating the discs to 45-50° and using more stylus heating than for vinyl. We used a diamond stylus for it.
Does anybody know how durable these laserdiscs will be? How many times can they be played?
best regards,
Dub
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

edaudio

Re: Dr Dub cuts on Laserdisc

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:20 pm

I have only embossed on polycarbonate (CD/DVD blanks) with a very old RCA mono head. What progress I've made seemed to point toward using a standard cutting stylus but in reverse (not cutting but embossing). I haven't really experimented with heat, because that type of cutting stylus has very little room to put a few turns of nichrome.

I had looked into diamond stylus - I would think that last generation of Neumann DMM systems would be well suited to cutting into polycarbonate, which is a very robust plastic.

That said, my short term focus has been on creating proper record electronics and rewinding the head coil and adding a ceramic element for feedback.

Also, while there is not shortage of CD and DVD blanks, I am very excited about the PVC blanks. My first test - cutting PVC - was sooo much better than embossing polycarbonate, that I am persuing that path for the time being, which means setting up a vacuum system for the chip.
one-percent inspiration and 99% perspiration