Australian brands of Disc Cutting Lathes

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Australian brands of Disc Cutting Lathes

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Australian-made Disc Cutting Lathes

Harris Disc Cutting Lathes

These were made by Vic Harris and the badge, if I remember correctly, lists an address in Ashfield NSW. Vic was very well known in radio and hi-fi circles and made some damn fine playback cartridges. The base is made of heavy cast iron.

Nuttall Disc Cutting Lathes

The other brand of Australian-made disc cutting lathe was Nuttall. The Nuttall Lathe Company Pty Ltd produced a small number of disc cutting lathes in the 50s or 60s for the Australian Record Company Ltd, which was later taken over by CBS to become CBS Records Australia. I believe they produced only two or three disc cutting lathes as their core business was producing industrial lathes, many of which are still in use in engineering workshops around Australia today.

I have never seen a Nuttal Lathe although an old friend of mine owned the assets of the Nuttall Lathe Company and he showed me the drawings for the disc cutting lathe. I once sold a Grampian mono cutterhead and custom amplifier to a lawyer who owned a Nuttal lathe. I have never been able to find that lawyer and he is not registered in the state of NSW. I can only imagine his disc cutting business outgrew his law business ;-)

blacknwhite

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:33 am

Cool. Any pics of the Nuttall perchance?
I googled it but this is the only Nuttall Lathe I got;
Apparently, they made regular lathes as well as disc lathes...

If this picture is any indication, I'll bet their disc lathe was impressive looking

- Bob

Aussie0zborn

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:08 am

I dont have any pics of a Nuttall lathe. From the drawings I saw, I recall it looked more like a Neumann lathe i(n its overall shape). Definitley not like a Presto lathe which is what Vic Harris' lathes looked like. I recently came across some photos I took of a Vic Harris lathe... will go back and find 'em and post 'em here at some point.

Vic was one of three people in Australia who could recoil Westrex heads, as far as I know.

MEGAMIKE

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:55 am

WOW...
this lathe looks like the one i was using when i was a fiter en turner back in the 80s 90s...i know from memory that we had 2 australian built lathes(nutal??must be) 5 german and 2 indian the indian ones were indian built but german design...

Simon

Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

Aussie0zborn

Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:32 am

Wow - good find! I had never heard of Byer Industries before. Obviously they were way before my time!