Cutter Capabilities

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rhythm_changes

Cutter Capabilities

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Greetings!

I'm wondering if anyone can verify whether or not a cutter has the capability to produce a different set of results for any given variety of source track material. For instance, from the cutter's point of reference, would there be a different physical response to, let's say, a live solo piano track versus an electronic music track?

I'm aware that certain dynamic properties such as bass could alter cut results, but what about actual frequency? I suppose a more specific example would be, if I were cutting audio of solo piano playing, would the cutter respond differently if the piano was out of tune?

Or is this not even a possibility, and it has more to do with certain physical adjustments that need to be made..?

Just for reference, I use a Souri VR with a mostly stock setup.

Any insight regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

Humble regards,

I-VI-ii-V

Discomo

Re: Cutter Capabilities

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:12 am

>>if I were cutting audio of solo piano playing, would the cutter respond differently if the piano was out of tune?<<

Totally not. Basically it's all (and only) frequency. Musicstyle doen't matter.
You can cut anything which isn't too extreme in terms of extreme bass (especially in combination with heavy panning), extreme highs.

As long the music is correctly mastered for vinyl, it can all be cut.