using 5 year old transco lacquers

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dietrich10

using 5 year old transco lacquers

Tue May 11, 2010 7:41 am

anyone have experience using 5 yr old or so transco/apollo lacquers?
I have a box here that I hope not to waste. not much luck getting chip pickup right so far on a few attempts.

D
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

Simon

Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am

Send them to me and I will use them m8

It is all about applying heat with lamps.

2 x 30w spots

Lazar temp gun

Run on the table for about 4 mins until it gets to about 26 to 30 degrees.

Pull one lamp away if it is getting to hot.

Watch the chip - if it balls up around the stylus it may be not enough heat or to much.

You will have to play. :wink:

Oh yes I use 50 year old ones and all is fine.

Have Fun....
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

cymbalism

Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 pm

hey d

i bought about 30 from a guy on ebay which were not in a box and i've been cutting on them fine, just use some heat and you'll be straight :)
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

dietrich10

Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 pm

yeah i will have to find a day to get the system set for them.
hate to waste em!
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

subkontrabob

Tue May 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Simon wrote: Oh yes I use 50 year old ones and all is fine.
Today I've used 54 year old Master Sound System lacquers (12 inch) and Pyral masters (14inch, don't know the age).

Just a random lamp for heating, no lazer temp gun, no bells and whistles, works like a charm :)

chip gets sucked up perfectly, although it's a standard groove vintage head without stylus heating!

I'm a lucky man :)

emorritt

Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Any age should be OK and heating probably improves performance, as long as they're not leaching palmitic. If so, they may be too dry to cut. Over the weekend I pulled out an old box of Allied's I had from the late 70's, all of which had palmitic on their surfaces - cleaned them a bit, then did some test cuts on an old Federal Radio Recorder I'd just finished working on and the thread was very dry - like unconditioned hair. Probably pretty flammable as well.

Simon

Wed May 12, 2010 5:29 am

All good stuff
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

powerstrip

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:16 am

Couple things to.say here

I had.a box of 16 inch audiodisc.shippid with my cutter and they all had a 'curdled' look about them. Stuck together, I pulled them.apart delicately. Some of the lacquer which was stuck together looks ' cuttable'

The other box of 25-1 red label audiodisc was included; they were more.well kept than the 16s. I pulled them apart so carefully, kept each one in its own plastic sleeve. After that, I cut on them well using the methods described above. But on a couple of the red labels, if you hold it to.the right angle, you see slight curdling.

Point is, if they are sealed nicely, they almost always come out clean as a whistle. Just look for that lacquer smell. If its dried up there will be no vintage smell