K8 Motor Tension Spring Hook

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

soeffingodly

K8 Motor Tension Spring Hook

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Hey Fellow Trolls,

So I was getting cute while being pretty unfamiliar with my K8's guts and accidently loosened the motor tension spring screw which in turn ended up unhooking from wherever it latches to on the other end. (I lost a screw inside the case which necessitated this endeavor) I've scoured the boards and went over the manual and motor, etc and can't seem to find where to reattach the hook to. I thought it was on the motor but I'm not seeing anything jump out at me. And I don't want to attach it incorrectly and cause more issues.

Thank you in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Prestofan

Re: K8 Motor Tension Spring Hook

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 am

The sprint hooks on to the motor to make it "spring" away from resting against the turntable belt during the off position of the switch.

Alan Graves

Prestofan

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 am

Oops! My bad. I previously told you the opposite. My memory took brain gap. The Spring hooks on to the bottom of the motor in a funny way through one of the air gaps in the housing to keep the motor tight against the rubber tire when running - and a protrusion on the motor switch pushes the motor shaft away from the tire when in the off position.

It's been awhile since I had a K8 - so maybe another troll can help you further.

Alan

soeffingodly

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 am

Prestofan wrote:Oops! My bad. I previously told you the opposite. My memory took brain gap. The Spring hooks on to the bottom of the motor in a funny way through one of the air gaps in the housing to keep the motor tight against the rubber tire when running - and a protrusion on the motor switch pushes the motor shaft away from the tire when in the off position.

It's been awhile since I had a K8 - so maybe another troll can help you further.

Alan
Thank you Alan! I thought it went on the bottom as well but was moving the hook in different ways to see if it looked proper and it didn't but I can take another look tonight.

Hoping another troll better versed with the K-8's guts can assist with a bit more detail!

soeffingodly

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:48 am

Found the little hole in the bottom of the motor. Got the tension spring hook attached. I think it is on correctly. Still fighting the dam platter hum in the grooves. Ugh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soeffingodly

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:49 am

PS I am an idiot. I should have taken a shot of how I attached the hook/spring. I might do it anyway. =)

soeffingodly

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:10 am

Hey Gang,

So I noticed that my tension spring was on correctly but not attached to the correct place on the top so I had to tweak it last night. Here is a picture of how it goes on weirdly. There is a small hole the end sneaks in to. There is also a groove on the bottom of the motor for the actual metal to sit in.

STILL getting a hum from the K8 but I believe I have isolated it to the motor. I found grommets that fit pretty much perfectly like the originals. Didn't replace the bottom rubber cylinders though. (yet) Any trolls have any tips on getting the motor mounted quietly as opposed to giving me so much dam hum? I'll be making a single K8 post from all my research, parts, successes and failures. (many) I think I found a replacement for the rubber tire for the platter too. The rubber cylinders under the cover need to be hand made. Could not find anything suitable that fit out of box.

buddybolden

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:30 am

Hi,
I dont have too much time to sit here, so my post may be a bit "late" by now,

here in Europe all the 60hz AC lathe motors hum even more loaded with 50Hz mains. (not to say about the platter speed issue on 50hz, a different story).

What I've found and turn into practise design and use, on K-family prestos a good easy way to solve the hum is to replace the motor with an suspended axle, placed in place of the motor, where top of the axle serves as a capstan, and it's bootom is geared with a pulley. The motor is placed on a side of it (bad thing: original motor is going to be too big, u need a smaller replacement to house it inside a Presto cabinet) working as a belt transmission feeder (with i'ts own pulley) for the "capstan axle".

This way you reduce 2 issues:

1: Belt transmission doesn't transmit mechanical 60hz motor vibrations to the platter
2: properly tooled axle (a modern, ordinary $10 table fan rotor works fine) will give less flutter than original capstan.

Same as here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RKpulkqJck

I hope I've expressed myself reasonably well ;) sorry for my english,
Jed

soeffingodly

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:01 pm

buddybolden wrote:Hi,
I dont have too much time to sit here, so my post may be a bit "late" by now,

here in Europe all the 60hz AC lathe motors hum even more loaded with 50Hz mains. (not to say about the platter speed issue on 50hz, a different story).

What I've found and turn into practise design and use, on K-family prestos a good easy way to solve the hum is to replace the motor with an suspended axle, placed in place of the motor, where top of the axle serves as a capstan, and it's bootom is geared with a pulley. The motor is placed on a side of it (bad thing: original motor is going to be too big, u need a smaller replacement to house it inside a Presto cabinet) working as a belt transmission feeder (with i'ts own pulley) for the "capstan axle".

This way you reduce 2 issues:

1: Belt transmission doesn't transmit mechanical 60hz motor vibrations to the platter
2: properly tooled axle (a modern, ordinary $10 table fan rotor works fine) will give less flutter than original capstan.

Same as here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RKpulkqJck

I hope I've expressed myself reasonably well ;) sorry for my english,
Jed
Thanks for the feedback! I've actually upgraded to a 6N and moved my K8 to another gent who wanted to get into record cutting. I appreciate the posting though!

-S