First experiences cutting records on a no-frills mono machine – questions how to proceed.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

kugelblitz

First experiences cutting records on a no-frills mono machine – questions how to proceed.

Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:34 am

Hello!

To start off my short personal history of record cutting so far :)

So at the start of the year i got a small suitcase-lathe, a 30’s or 40’s dual-machine, modified to run at 33 and a third.
DSC00460.JPG

It has a mono head by the frenchie Pierre Clement (M1) that proposed the first challenge: the impeadence of the head and the output
of the power-amplifier i have didn’t match.
So the head would “drain” the amplifier leaving no volume at the cutting end.

After some advice on the forum the choice was between an off the shelf 100v system audio transformer, or a DIY transformer.
Soulbear had made a diy-trafo for just this head and kindly shared his “specs” with me, so I was off to the races.

DSC00499.JPG

A primary winding of 36 meters and a secondary of 104(!) meters with 30 SWG enameled wire around a torroid ferite core.

So after winding the secondary in the lost hours of the evening for about a week I had this spiffy transformer.
(Some light panic ensued when I broke off the start of the winding to a mere stub, but luckily it was still big enough to solder a lead onto)
DSC00534 (copie).JPG

Packaged in a failed attempt of cutting a record, I have to say I'm pretty proud of this thing.
And what’s more, it seems to works:
I still need to open the amp up quite a bit, but I’m getting convincing levels at the head now.

With the machine I had gotten some old (perhaps dead-stock or perhaps used) cutting needles.
I have been using these to cut in PETG blanks, that I got from a local plastics supplier.
DSC00495.JPG

Millage varies but one thing is for sure, there is LOADS of room for improvement.

The cuts sound halfway decent on the little turntable with an MMC head I have set up for playing 78’s – just loads of surface noise, but horrible on the orthofone cartridge I use for LP’s.
I guess this is due to the wider groove cut by these old needles?

My gut-feeling is that now the levels at the head are fine, and I need to start dealing with the other variables so here’s some questions:

• Am I using the right blanks for my setup?
• Where can I get “fresh” cutting needles?
• Would embossing needles be easy to set up on this head? Which one should I get?
• I’ve tried a couple times setting up a myshank account, but I guess they are not taking new customers: are there any other resources for these supplies in europe?

Thanks for helping me get along, I feel it’s going to be a long, interesting ride….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Estrada

Re: First experiences cutting records on a no-frills mono machine – questions how to proceed.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:09 am

Hi, hopefully you are making progress and have figured out the answers to some of these questions. If not, hopefully this is helpful;
1. With the blanks, it depends in whether you are cutting or embossing. For embossing, polycarbonate is probably the best material to use. PETG does work but in my experience Polycarbonate produced better results. If you are cutting, PETG seems to be most recommended as it is softer than polycarbonate.
2. For embossing, the sapphire stylus from recordlatheparts are really good. They also can provide blanks. https://www.recordlatheparts.com/collections/styli
3. I don't think Myshank make embossing styli, they do mainly Diamond Cutting styli (as well as blanks and other products). This is a different ball game to embossing but if you are looking to get into cutting their diamond styli are really good. Myshank will delete any accounts that don't have a purchase logged against them. If you did want to buy something from them it would probably be best to send them an email, they do respond. Once you have an account set up and you are have purchased something your account will stay active.

If you are still learning, I'd recommend embossing first as it is a lot simpler. Cutting is a lot trickier and the styli are much more expensive and fragile (I've learned the hard way). Embossing styli should work just fine in your mono head, the only adjustment you may need to make is the angle. Hope this is useful, good luck with your journey

kugelblitz

Re: First experiences cutting records on a no-frills mono machine – questions how to proceed.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:46 pm

Thanks for replying, yes i have been working on it, but not so much advancing documented in this thread: Fun with Failure
Thanks for the clear info about blanks, will get my hands on some polycarbonate when i get back to my machine (i'm traveling a bit in the comming months, so the project is on pause...)

piaptk

Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:10 am

• Am I using the right blanks for my setup?
Those old steel needles were meant for cutting lacquers, and even on a fresh lacquers rarely sound good now.

• Where can I get “fresh” cutting needles?
I lay out all the different blank and needle types and which are compatible with which in my Newbie Starter Guide: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=8328

• Would embossing needles be easy to set up on this head? Which one should I get?
Lots of people use my needles from www.RecordLatheParts.com with polycarbonate (do not use them on any other materials) and get really nice sounding cuts. You can get that locally or buy blanks from me.

• I’ve tried a couple times setting up a myshank account, but I guess they are not taking new customers: are there any other resources for these supplies in europe?
As said above, Email Myshank directly when you are ready to make an order and he will reactivate your account. However, you might consider getting good at embossing before moving into diamond, because diamond requires heat, suction, etc and is much more sensitive to things like angle and weight. Really put your machine through the paces and get fully confident on it and you are less likely to blow through diamonds.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com