Any opinions/experience on the RCA Mi-12701?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Pritcher

Any opinions/experience on the RCA Mi-12701?

Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 am

Hello all, I am brand new to this forum and brand new to record cutting as a whole. Apologies in advance for any formatting errors or knowledge gaps intrinsic to my inexperience. That said, I recently purchased a 1939 RCA Mi-12701 which is (supposedly) fully worked over. Amplifier and reproduction arm were restored, and the cutting head was rebuilt by West tech. It came with a NOS vintage metal cutting stylus, looks to be tungsten but I am not sure. I have really no idea what I am doing, reading a few of the newbie guides has been helpful, but it is all a bit much to take in without any experience with audio recording. Does anyone have any experience with these RCA machines? Any opinions on the machine or pointers as to how to use it would be helpful.

Cheers,
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piaptk

Re: Any opinions/experience on the RCA Mi-12701?

Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:56 pm

If you haven't already found this, start here before you start blowing through styli and blanks. THe one that is in there is most likely an old steel stylus and totally worthless.

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=8328
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com